Saturday, March 15, 2008

Today's 3:02 Half

Goal number one of two pre-Spring goals has been met. The target was to 3:03 or better. I ran an almost perfect "race" with 220 splits of 47, 43, 46, and 46.

Negatives: Only one really. I don't think I could have run much faster. Contrast that to the 3:03 I ran in the Fall where I felt very comfortable.

Positives: I did this at 150 pounds and with sore quads. And most of all, I did it.

I had made up my mind early this week that I pretty much had to run my half this weekend because there is no way I could handle two "races" by next weekend otherwise--I'm just not strong enough to do two events close together. I have to run these events by next weekend since the goals are pre-Spring goals and Spring starts this coming Friday. So, when I woke up this morning and saw that it was going to be in 60s today, I started thinking about the half and hoping for the best.

Thanks to all for your morale support--it helps.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Very nice!! I suspect a 3:02 half is a better quality run than a 7:08 mile. Typically, I would say people would run a mile race at about only about 15 to 20 seconds slower per half mile than a half-mile race. In high school, for instance, I ran a 2:09 half, and a 4:46 mile (2:23 per half, only 14 seconds slower per half). Now, adjusting and scaling for running slower, I still think 20 to 25 seconds maximum differential would be about right, so a 3:02 half would equate to 3:27 per half, or a 6:54 mile. Of course, I'm just speculating. The important thing is that you beat a pre-planned goal, and ran faster than last fall (when you were younger). I'm looking forward to your mile attempt, which I assume is coming no later than this weekend. As for me, I may not hit the track yet this weekend. The snow might be off the track, but it is still hard to run time trials with temperatures in the 30s. I ran 4 miles today, though, in bright sunshine and low 30s, and felt pretty good. Once again, congratulations! This is great!