Friday, March 7, 2008

Caplin/Kaplan Brothers Link

Dave mentioned that his dad competed for Jamaica High School in Queens, New York as a jumper and a sprinter. I had long heard rumors about my uncle, Sam Kaplan, and his days as a track athlete at Jamaica (I think these first surfaced when I was running in high school).

Well, I went directly to the source, and here's what Uncle Sam had to say: "on jamaica high track team 1952, 53. (graduated spring 53) ran 100 yd dash and on the 880 relay (2 and 3d leg) . also shot put. won several medals in the dash...ran in madison sq garden. team did well. have some clips buried somewhere. uncle sam"

So, quite the coincidence, that both Caplin/Kaplan brothers have track root at Jamaica and both roots were sprinters and field athletes. But, has anybody ever heard of a sprinting shotputter?

No comments: