Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Call Me Coach?

Since time is a commodity I have a lot of these days, I may have found an interesting outlet. The Hudson High track coach has asked me if I'm interested in being an assistant coach for the upcoming spring season. This is an unpaid position, but money would not be a factor anyway. I would probably pay them.

I'm intrigued and have actually attended a few workouts. My main area of responsibility has been to supervise the workouts for the 400 meter runners, my son Greg being one. I don't plan out the workouts, the coach does that. I supervise the runners, give them the workout and then record their intervals, splits, etc. This frees up the real coaches to supervise the distance runners, field event guy, sprinters, etc.

As long as my treatment schedule and resulting side effects don't get in the way, I really want to do this. First, I think it would be a lot of fun and gives me something worthwhile to do. It also reinforces my connection to Greg's track experience and further solidifies my presence as a legitimate fixture on the team. I even discussed this with Greg to be sure he was OK with this deal. It's one thing for your dad to attend meets and take pictures of everybody. But actually being an official coach and in a position to supervise and critique his workouts and performances is taking this to a whole new level. I did get his permission. As Greg said, "I'm fine with the arrangement but if you embarras me, I'll kill you!" Coming from a 16 year old, that's about as good as I'm going to get. And I may actually get used to this new path in my track life.

Now where was that stop watch?

2 comments:

Eric said...

Excellent! Proving once again that there really are silver linings in clouds.

Have fun and keep us posted on your team.

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Dave:

Again, I'm impressed and also happy to see a teenager who doesn't mind having his Dad around, especially in a coaching position! I will be following any updates closely. My daughter was never receptive at all to my running advice. Keep us updated on Greg's spring track times!!