Saturday, February 9, 2008

Moinbo on Spoon


On Saturday, 2 February 2008 Mark, Eric, and Moinbo ran the first annual Spoon Memorial Run. The run was once around the main six-mile loop in New York City's Central Park. It was very fitting that Moinbo, who was a close friend and teammate of Spoon at SUNY-B was a participant in this event. After graduation, Moinbo and Spoon remained good friends and in close contact.

As the three of us ran around the Park, Moinbo provided details on Spoon's post graduation life. I wish that Moinbo's words had been captured for all of you who have ever wondered what became of Spoon and how it was that he happened to be where he was when he was killed.

In that spririt, I'm pleased to be able to share with you the unedited text of an email I received from Moinbo shortly after the Spoon.

"Hi Eric. Read the Spoon eulogy. Quite excellent, in capturing the Spoon persona. Dave S., the author, is a superior writer however he hadn’t seen Spoon in a long time. Things did change, along with the persona. There were rough patches in later years, pressures, and somehow I think destiny took Spoon and his sweet wife on this long path that ultimately led him to the Farmer’s Market where the incident happened. Some people believe it was just terrible terrible bad luck, in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I can’t get it out of my head that something else was at work. I’ll post some thoughts about the Millrose/Spoon Memorial reunion, and the Polar Bear swim maybe this week when I have some time.Truly good to see you and the boys. Moinbo."

Photo by Mark: Moinbo (white) and Eric during the Spoon.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I must concur that running and getting a detailed "life of Spoon" from Moinbo was really interesting. I am intrigued by Moinbo's thought that Spoon's move to California and his eventual untimely death was "destiny" rather than bad luck. I tend to agree that life is not about luck. As a Christian, I see God's hand in so many areas of my life (yes, even running). Perhaps future blogs will have more detail on subjects such as this, although it is straying from the running theme a bit......... :)