Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Millrose" SUNY B Runners Reunion a Success!

I'm back in beautiful Buffalo, NY, and wanted to be the first to post what I am sure will be a flurry of blogs concerning this weekend's successful Millrose Games SUNY B Runners Reunion. These are just my preliminary thoughts, to be followed with additional, more detailed blogs that will contain photos and a complete commentary of the Spoon Memorial Run.

This reunion, including runners from the class of 1973 (Gary Wallace) through 1980 (Mark Raybuck), plus the infamous Coach Truce, was certainly an interesting gathering of runners who have taken various paths in life, but still maintain that common thread of running (at least in the past) and Coach Truce. Although I had not previously met some of you, I enjoyed this brief reunion, from the trip down and back with Coach Truce, to the Irish dinner at Tir Na Nog (spelling?), to the Millrose Games (including the incredible box seats), to eating out twice after the games (and staying up past my usual 11 pm bedtime), to the highlight for me, the Kevin McCarthy (aka Spoon) memorial run in Central Park, with Eric Kaplan, Moinbo, and myself. The others were there in spirit, I'm sure, if not physically present in running shoes and sweat clothes.

More about this inaugural reunion and memorial run in subsequent blogs, with photos of the event. I encourage all of you, including the professional writer among us (Moinbo) to prepare blogs with your thoughts and perspectives.

Mark (formerly known as Youngbuck) Raybuck
(class of 1980)

1 comment:

Eric said...

Wallace was in attendance and while he graduated in 1973, he started running at SUNY-B in 1967. See the blog entry about him.