Monday, February 4, 2008

Mark's Post Millrose Games Training Update

The last two weeks were relatively light training weeks, but still more than usual for winter. I ran (or cross country skiid) 4 times each week. The final run of this past week was the Spoon Memorial, including nearly a mile warmup and warmdown. I guess our total mileage was close to 8, and I included 3 fartleks of about 1/4 mile each during the Spoon. Yesterday I did not have much time, so I just ran 4 miles at a brisk clip (probably 7:45), and included 3 good fartleks of about 400 meters each during the run. I felt quite good, and still feel that I am in much better shape than usual for the winter. I think both of us (Eric Kaplan and myself) are now in a similar position. Much better condition than normal for winter level of fitness, and poised to run some excellent mile times this Spring and Summer.

I have not stepped on a track in a couple months, and probably will not be able to do so for a while. Although we are having a thaw this week, I can usually only run on the track on weekends, and forecasts are predicting cold and snow again by the weekend. In the interim, I am trying to do one run per week that includes either fartleks or a tempo run. I also plan to continue a weekly "long" run of about 7.5 miles.

I'm still uncertain about a Sub-5 mile attempt this Spring, but I will continue to do my winter training as if I were indeed planning the Sub-5 mile.

No comments: