Monday, May 2, 2011

"Long Run"

Today, shortly after I wrote the post about the wind, I went running barefoot on the beach. Conditions were perfect. Just a slight wind coming out of the south and a very comfortable temperature. The tide was such that there was plenty of firm sand to run on.

According to my Garmin Forerunner 205 I ran 4 miles in 38:20. Pitifully slow, but at least it was the longest run I've done in a few years.

I'll be writing another post soon about some the problems I've had with the Garmin Forerunner 205.

2 comments:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Running barefoot in the sand is going to be quite slow. 9:30/mile really isn't all that bad under the conditions. When I run on soft grass or trails, (or trails with hills), my pace can be as much as 1 minute per mile slower (or even slower) compared to a flat road run.
I note that you're doing a bit more overall mileage/biking. A year ago or so, you were on a running fast and short kick. Are you modifying that philosophy and trying to get a semblance of a "distance" base in?

Eric said...

There are three primary reasons I am doing longer runs this year:

1) I'm spending a lot of time on Hatteras Island and there is no running track on the Island.

2) The short and fast approach didn't work well for me last year.

3) Based on nothing except my own experience and gut feel, I think that longer running might work better with biking that I am doing than short and fast running.