Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Spring" Training????

I've sort of re-started my training, now that we're close to "Spring" in Buffalo. But it sure didn't feel like it, with either fairly cold rain or snow most every day this week.

Here's a summary of this past week’s training:

Sunday: 3.1 miles XC skiing, about 42 minutes total

Monday: 32 minutes on exercise bike indoors

Tuesday: weights indoors

Wed: 4.4 miles in pouring rain and dark, temp in 40s

Thurs: 4.4 miles in pouring rain and dark, temp in 40s

Friday: 4.3 miles in swirling snow and wind, temp in low 30s*

Saturday: 5.1 miles, drizzle changing to steady light rain, temp in the 40s.

All in all, not a bad training week. Maybe the track will be free of snow soon. I'm itching to get out there an try a mile!

I'm glad Eric's training so I don't have to feel like I'm doing this alone.

*Thought about Frank Shorter while I was running in the wind and swirling snow (although I really shouldn't compare myself to Frank). While training by running uphill in the mountains of New Mexico in the swirling, blinding snow, Frank thought to himself...."I doubt anyone in the world is doing what I'm doing." That made him feel better, and in fact, he said the runs were almost pleasant.

Mark

2 comments:

Eric said...

Mark has not been alone. I've been training all winter but have been quiet. I was on the exercise bike almost every day. I don't know how I feel about running in the cold. I haven't ruled it out forever, but I'm glad that I didn't do it this past winter.

Eric said...

Frank was also an inspiration to me and maybe I wouldn't have been a distance runner without that inspiration back in the early 70s. I wonder how much of an impact Frank had on U.S. running.