Sunday, March 6, 2011

First Run

Just got back from my first run of the year. A bit more than two miles on a flat road. I didn't time myself because I didn't want to know how slow I was. Since there isn't much to say about the run, let me focus on the equipment.

I used brand new shoes that are probably the nicest looking running shoes I've ever had. They are Tiger (Asics)trail shoes and are red with gold, black, and gray trim. What makes them trail shoes is that the upper has a tighter weave than normal and the tongue is bit different with the idea being that one's feet will get less wet when running on trails. The bottom has a tread design that is for trails, but I don't know what about the tread design makes them ideal for trails. I got them at a clearance sale--they where the only shoes in my size at the sale that had the right design to handle my extreme supination. So far so good. Extremely comfortable considering they now have a total of two miles on them.

My choice for shorts is sure to cause controversy. I'm at my beach house and usually when I am here I run on the beach in a bathing suit. So I thought why not use the same suit on the road? I took the risk and have no regrets. The suit could probably pass as a long multipurpose sport short except that it has a Speedo logo on it.

I was concerned about the temperature and the wind. As a result, I overdressed and wore a sweatshirt over my T-shirt. So I sweat a bit more than I would have liked but that's what I get for wearing a sweatshirt.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Great!! Keep it up! I didn't know you had a beach house. Where is it? Hope this was really the first run of many spring training runs. I told my wife the other day that this is spring track season, and she seemed puzzled..........