Sunday, November 30, 2008

Final Speed workout: countdown begins!

I completed my final speed workout prior to next Saturday's 5K road race. Last night, as the sun was setting, and it was too dark to see the readout on my watch, I ran two one-mile intervals, with about a 5-minute rest in between. The lack of ability to see the watch was actually beneficial, because it forced me to run by feel, without any knowledge of splits. With a goal of sub 6:10 for each mile, this was an encouraging workout: 6:08, followed by a 6:04. Both were hard efforts, although I think I was still running in control, and trying to maintain form and posture. Today I plan to run about 5.5 miles, then the remainder of the week is tapering. I may do some very short fartleks a couple times during the week, just to get the feel of race speed. The big question is whether this final exam "cramming" during the last 5 to 6 weeks has whipped this old body into good enough condition to run something close to 19 minutes (6:07 per mile). I may try to run around 6:10 to 6:15 for the first mile to be conservative, then go from there. I typically like to feel good at the mile mark, because it is too tough mentally to already feel bad at the mile, then have 2.1 miles to go.

Mark

No comments: