Sunday, January 13, 2008

Running Without A Watch

I find that running without a watch it is too easy to run slow and not have the fact that I am running so slow be "in my face".  In fact, I find that I need the constant reminder of being on a track, where there is constant reinforcement about my pace to maintain a good pace.  Of course, this might change.  But, for now, just going on a road run and counting on my feel for pace to keep me moving at a reasonable pace is not a viable training option for me.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I tend to disagree, at least for my personal running. Running without a watch enables me to develop a sense of pace that is probably much better than many runners. I have learned to run by "feel" as mentioned. For example, when I entered a 5K race last fall, I decided to go out in about 6:15 to 6:20, and hit 6:17. In another 5K I was aiming for 6:10 to 6:13 and hit 6:10. Now, maybe I can do this because I also get out on the track several times per year for time trials (Usually a mile). The races themselves also help develop a sense of pace. Anyway, I do use a watch about 70% of the time when running, and then once or twice a week, I just like to run without any constraints or worries about how fast I am going.