Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Old Hurdler

A comment from Mark prompts me to tell this story.  Mark wrote:  "I occasionally see an old man, maybe upper 70s, running along the road so slow and awkwardly that he is going at a slow to medium walk pace. He should be retired from running, and going out for a walk, more befitting of his age and ability."
 
A number of years ago, I was working out at the UVa  (University of Virginia) track.  An old man was practicing starts, doing some sprints, and even, if I recall correctly, running some hurdles.  There was something about his form that was bothering me.  So, being the good soul and busybody that I am, I gave him some advice.  He gave me an annoyed look and told me that he was the national hurdles champion for the 80s age group.  The implication was that I should shut up and mind my own business.
 
I have to say that the old hurdler was right.  My comments to him were somewhat inappropriate.
 
 

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I am thinking when my running slows down to near walking pace, I may switch over to walking and biking. Then again, I may be stubborn and insist on "going out for a run" even though the pace is 12 to 14 minutes per mile.