Saturday, January 5, 2008

GPS Wristwatch: Get One

Quoting myself, from an email I sent to a business associate on 24 December 2007:
 
"I'll be fifty in a couple of weeks so I bought myself a present--a Garmin 205 training watch.  I love it.  It's one of those things that, once you have it, you wonder how you ever got by without it.  Now, when I go running in a new place, I shouldn't ever get lost again.  Also, its really nice to know how far I've actually run and what the pace is.  Your enthusiasm for your GPS watch definitely influenced me."
 
Don't hesitate to buy this.  You will be glad you did.  I got mine at PC Nation.  Cost, including free 3-day shipping was about $160.  If you are like Mark, and have questions, I will try and answer them.  But, trust me on this one, if you are a distance runner, you want to have this.
 
The device isn't great for training on the track because it is only accurate to about 1/100 of a mile.  This means that for each lap, the watch will think that you've gone somewhere between .24 and .26 miles (assuming you train on a 1/4 mile track, which, believe it or not, I really do.  Really, the track at the local high school is not metric.)  One thing though that I do like about using this on the track is that I don't have to worry about loosing count of laps.  Even being off by 1/100 mile, I still know how many laps I've run.

No comments: