Thursday, November 11, 2010

Prep for 5K race

I am tentatively planning on running a 5K road race this Saturday, to gauge what I can do in a flatter, certified distance. These trail and cross country races are slow, and distances are not accurate, so other than comparing to last year's times, or finding people that I know, it is difficult to say how I am doing. For example, in the Mendon Ponds 10K trail race, this year I ran 44:57 compared to 45:02 last year, nearly identical. However, the trails were dry last year, and the temperature was perfect, around mid 50s. This year it was rain/snow and in the 30s, had to wear more gear, and the muddy trails were slower. However, I don't know whether that translates into a few seconds slower, a minute slower???

Anyway, last night (8:30 at night after dinner, on a full stomach), I ran a tempo run, consisting of 5 miles total: 2 miles at 9 minute pace, 2 miles at 7:00/mile pace, then a warmdown mile at 9:05 pace. These after dinner in the dark runs just seem to be slow. I had hoped I could be closer to 6:30 per mile for the tempo portion, but it must be a combination of the dark, full sweats, and trying to run after dinner. I felt like the effort was good.

So, we'll just see what happens on Saturday. I feel like I am in better shape than last year at this time, when I ran about 18:48 on the track by myself. However, last year, I was doing consistent speed workouts on the track, and numerous mile time trials. This year, I have been running higher mileage, but no track speed workouts, only tempo runs.

My tentative plan is to go out at about a 6 minute pace, if I can, and see if I can hold on..........


Mark

No comments: