Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mile Repeats!

I did three one mile repeats in Bassett Park today, on grass/trails/hills. Also a 1.25 mile warmup, then a 1 mile warmdown (total 5.25 miles). I rested 6 minutes between each mile repeat. Times: 6:34, 6:38, 6:31. After the 1st two repeats, I took off my sweat bottoms, and one layer off the top, so the final repeat was with shorts and just one long-sleeve shirt on top. The lesser weight seemed to help, as I thought my final mile was going to be the slowest. This was a little slower than my target 6:30 pace, but then I was thinking of wearing racing spikes, and probably thought about shorts. So if you add the weight of the sweats and training shoes, I was probably close to target pace.

But the main point is, didn't we use to do one mile repeats under Coach Truce on the cross country course? It hurt then and it hurt now.

Mark

2 comments:

Eric said...

Good job! I don't think I could do one one mile repeat at that pace.

I don't recall running one mile repeats during XC unless the mile included running on the now, non existent, ski slop at SUNY-B. I think they paved the ski slop and put in a parking lot. Really.

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Exactly! We used to run them on the ski slope, plus the trail leading up to the nature preserve. Yes, the ski slope is a parking lot and a new dorm now.