Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Comeback or Retirement? (Mendon Ponds Trail Run 10k)



A dilemma has arisen in my running career. Almost accidentally, it seems, I ended up winning a 10K trail race on Saturday, my first outright win (not counting age group wins) in more than 2 decades! But the question is, should I retire now while I'm ahead, as this is not likely to happen again, or should I pursue a comeback, including the elusive sub-5-minute mile? I would appreciate some input from the faithful followers of this blog. Retirement seems appealing!



My time was slow - 44:57, or about 7:14/mile, but it was an extremely hilly race, all trails, wet and muddy conditions, and snowing fairly hard for most of the race. Of course, since I won, this begs the question....where were the decent runners?


Mark

Click on link below or on title of this post to see full results!

http://www.grtconline.org/images/stories/2010_race_results/mendontrail10k_overall_results_2010.pdf

2 comments:

Eric said...

Please don't retire. You inspire us all. Your retirement would be a giant loss to the world of running.

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

OK, I won't retire quite yet. However, from time to time, I will threaten, depending on results and how I feel. Truthfully, it won't be a giant loss to the world of running. Hardly anyone would notice, except the "numerous" followers of Mark and Eric's Running and Dave's Wisdom.