Thursday, May 6, 2010

Never Mind!

Well the 800 debate was quickly extinguished yesterday when at the last minute, our head coach decided not to run Greg in the 800 and stay in the 400. The feeling was that this late in the season there is no real benefit to changing events and perhaps disrupting the training rhythm already established. Although Greg was disappointed, he did not protest the decision but was lackluster in last night's race running a 53.1. The meet was actually called due to thunder and lightning midway through the 3200 so overall, last night was not the highlight of the season.

I found it interesting that Greg was not concerned about last night's race. He still feels that he has not gone as low as he feels capable and expects to turn in faster times in the post season. His point is that he's running comparatively faster than last year. This is true but I was expecting more steady incremental improvement based on the intensified training for this year and to see a steady progression as the season went on. This will play out one way or the other over the next two weeks. I think I'm on safe ground in believing most coaches would be looking for progression during the course of the season with the peak coming in the post season races. I'm not sure I agree with Greg that "saving it to the end" is a workable strategy. However, as his father, I can tell you that Greg has a very wide stubborn streak and it's next to impossible to dissuade him from something he feels strongly about. We have another large invitational Saturday and then the league championships next Wednesday. It's now time to put it on the line!

Dave

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I think Greg will do fine. I was on the opposite spectrum of having essentially zero coaching and no input from parents on how to run. He knows what he can do, and how to do it. In fact, I think it was either my junior year or Senior under Truce that I told him I wanted to run easy in some dual meets to save myself for the post season. He agreed, so I ran back with the JVs in a few small meets. It seeemed to help. Anyway, enjoy the excitement of not quite knowing what will happen in the post season!

Mark