Monday, May 3, 2010

"Hill" Training

Last week I was in Potomac, Maryland again, helping out with my dad. I managed to run 4 times for a total of 19 miles. The good thing about running there is that there are "hills." Now hills is a relative term, but I live in an area of Buffalo that was a former swamp before being developed, and I am lucky if there is 5 or 10 feet of elevation change in any given run. In Potomac, there are rolling hills, enough to work different muscles, and show a measurable difference in speed (slower) relative to a comparable run in Buffalo. Anyway, I noticed this time that my times for the same courses were faster, and I was feeling better. I took Saturday off when I arrived home, then ran 5.7 miles on grass trails yesterday in very warm weather (for here), averaging 8:38/mile.

Still no time trials or speed work, but I am sticking to my plan of trying to run more distance this year, if possible. I may try a tempo run this week, just to get used to running a bit faster.

Mark

No comments: