Saturday, November 7, 2009

Running or Jogging?

I still go to the track almost every day and do my workout of a half-mile warm-up followed by somewhere between one mile and one and one-half miles of running.  On days when I run less one and one-half miles I typically run some 220s.

 

What I was pondering recently was whether when I run at slower than a 8:00/mile pace I was running or jogging?  Back in my SUNY-B days we defined jogging as anything that was slower than 8:00/mile.  My question is that an absolute definition or does that definition change depending on the age of the athlete?

 

I’m not the first person to pose this question:

http://home.sprynet.com/~holtrun/jog.htm

 

What do you think?

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I certainly agree that it is a relative term, and changes with age. If 8 mins/mile is the threshold defining jogging, then most of my training runs are "jogs" and I must be, by definition, a "jogger," although I ran a 5:20 mile this summer, and just placed 3rd out of 81 in a 10K trail race.