Sunday, November 8, 2009

3rd Generation Strider Completes First Interval Workout

My grandson Ethan, a 3rd generation Dr. K Strider, completed his first interval workout yesterday at the Casey Middle School Track. Although he does not refer to this type of workout as intervals (he calls it "ready, set go..."), he indeed completed approximately ten 30 to 40-meter intervals, with about 30 seconds rest between each one. In fact, he did not want to quit, and I had to make him stop so he wouldn't overdo it. After the 10 intervals, he did one longer one of about 50 meters. I did not have a stop watch, or measure the distance accurately, but using the 1001, 1002 method, I estimated 17 seconds on one of the 30 meter intervals.



Side note: he fell asleep in the stroller with a bottle on the way home from the track. Reminds me of the Fusc falling asleep at the edge of his bed in the dormroom upon return from a tough workout and dinner........

See video below of 50 meter interval:


2 comments:

Eric said...

I think he would be faster without the hat. This is based on experience of competing with a lot of hair. In hindsight, I should have cut my hair.

I predict up to a 5% improvement in his times if he removes the hat.

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Good idea. And I really need to get over there with a stopwatch and time him on something more formal, like a 50-meter dash. I think he might even be able to concentrate for 100 meters.