Thursday, September 3, 2009

This Morning's Mile Time Trial

My assignment from Mark was to run a mile time trial AND he had advised me recently that I should be able to break 7 minutes.

I could tell you that the yellow jacket stings I got last evening while mowing the lawn (one in each leg, just above the ankles) played a role in the outcome. But, I'm not going to do that. The truth is that, and I've made secret of this, I'm old, overweight, and out of shape.

My splits were 100, 109, 110, and 103 for a total of 422 which is 7:02. I'm glad I tried. I think within a few weeks I should be under 7:00.

Mark, thanks for the assignment, the encouragement, and for being an inspiration to all of us.

2 comments:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Excellent! I think I was right, that you are in sub-7 shape. You went out just a bit too fast, based on your splits (6:40 pace). Your goal for the next time trial should NOT be 7 minutes, as that would only be 2 seconds off of this time. Probably within 2 to 3 weeks, you'll easily be at 6:40, especially if you're doing some speed workouts.

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I forgot to mention in the previous comment that although overweight and out of shape are acceptable reasons for running slow, that "old" is not. Eric and I and most followers and authors of this blog are all in the same age group, so we have already adjusted our mentality to age group times. Thus, we shouldn't use "old" as a general reason for poor results in a race or time trial. The differential between our prime and over 50 is already presumed in this blog. Just for reference, I'm finding that if I get myself in nearly top condition, I'm about a minute slower per mile now than in my prime (i.e., just ran a 5:24 mile, ran 4:19 in prime, could probably run about 6/mile for 5K, ran 4:53 in my prime, etc.).