Saturday, September 26, 2009

The 7-point Tennis Rating Scale

The 7-point tennis rating scale is an objective scale based on attributes such as shot-making ability and consistency. A rating is assigned to a player through an evaluation (self or by a tennis pro). Beating an opponent with a certain rating does NOT earn the victorious player the same (or better) rating of the losing player. For example, if 3.0 player defeats a 4.0 player the 3.0 player is still a 3.0 player. The only way for the 3.0 player to improve their rating is to improve their tennis skills.

Here is a link to the USTA document that explains the rating system:

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/sitecore_usta/USTA/Document%20Assets/2006/04/03/doc_13_12277.pdf

Here are the basic descriptions of the various rating levels:



1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Although I meet some of the qualifications of a 4.0 player (I use lobs fairly well, I can volley, and use approach shots, and have very good court coverage (opponents are shocked), I still give myself a 3.5. I usually lose to my 4.0 buddy, and play quite evenly with my 3.5 buddy, although this season I've lost to both of them consistently. Then again, I spent more time running this year than playing tennis.