Friday, October 28, 2011

Nothing like trail running......



Now this is cross country!
The cliff.
This past weekend, I took a quick trip to Houghton, NY, the quaint western New York town of about 1,000 residents, where I grew up.  My brother, also an infamous runner, one of the trio of Running Raybucks, still lives there, in the house in which we grew up.  While there, I ran a 5 mile trail run, including a very steep climb up "Devil's Back."  I ran Devil's back in the summer once, and barely made it up without walking. This past time, I ran up it almost without strain, and then somewhat in an impromptu manner, did a 2.5 to 2.7 mile tempo run in the woods.  No Garmin, but pace for the tempo was likely 7 minutes per mile or less.  Overall, a great workout, and refreshing change of scenery from the flat trails and residential streets in my neighborhood.

Another Raybuck?
Next race:  Mendon Ponds 10K trail race, with over 1,100 feet of climb!  I actually won this race last year (only about 61 runners), so I suppose I am the defending title holder????  We'll see what happens!

Mark

No comments: