Monday, February 7, 2011

National Ranking in the Mile

I found something rather humorous the other day. The USA track and field association (USATF) formally tracks each season's results for masters runners in various age groups for each event, and then keeps an updated national ranking list. Somewhat humorously, I am ranked 9th in the nation in the mile (with my 5:17 from December 30, 2010) year to date for the 2011 indoor track season. (click on the title to link to the web page, then go to men 50 and over in the mile).


What you'll notice right away is the lack of entries from many states, so this list is not really reflective of a true ranking. In fact, I know there are 3 or 4 guys right here in Buffalo in my age group that could (and have) beat me in the mile. However, the fact remains that you can self enter your time (although you have to select from a dropdown list of official meets), so it is open to anyone.

Another interesting fact is that they give an All American standard for each age group. I don't know how they derive these standards. For the mile in my age group (50 to 54), it is 5:10, so I'm only 7 seconds away. The odd thing is that I think I can get there, with just moderate training this year (maybe a few 30 mile weeks and some speed workouts). In college, even in Division III, I would have had to be running 60 to 70 miles per week, serious speed workouts, lots of racing, and still at best might have just qualified for nationals, not been All American. In fact, I never qualified for nationals in track in college. Nonetheless, if the USATF has set an All American standard, I guess it's official, so I'll shoot for it. Why not?

Mark

No comments: