Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wednesday Run Even Better

Last night's run was very encouraging, although I do not like to give too much weight to training runs, especially this early in the "season." "Whaaaaat season" my wife would ask? She understands spring, summer, fall and winter, but doesn't quite comprehend why a 52-year-old former runner would still base his life around "seasons." Anyway, as I was saying, I ran 4.3 miles last night, about 80% on soft grass and trails (and about a 30-second stop with the Garmin still running while someone got their dog under control), and averaged a surprisingly brisk 8:16 per mile. In the last mile, I had a real runner pass me on the trail, which is a rare occurrence. (just rare that someone would happen to be running where I was, not rare that they could be running faster than me). He looked like a college cross country runner, and the interesting thing is that he didn't blow by me, and only gained on me at a relatively slow differential. I have to admit that I speeded up a little when he went by me, as a natural racing reflex, but I was too embarrassed to actually try to keep up with him. He didn't even say hi, and looked pretty serious. A year with Bruce Truce and the unserious contingent would have fixed him.

More updates later! (whether you want them or not)!

Mark

No comments: