Thursday, April 1, 2010

Improving

The last mile I ran was 7:50 and the one before that was 7:54. I think cross training of the cycling is helping. I still haven't attempted to run more than one mile at a time and there hasn't been any attempt yet at speed work.

Yesterday was a breakthrough day for cycling. The 21 mile ride up and down hills was surprisingly comfortable. I was able to go uphill in much higher gears than previously and with a lot less huffing and puffing. I think riding the exercise bike is helping a lot. On the exercise bike there is no coasting and every 5 mintues for 45 minutes I increase the difficulty of the ride. I've also determined that the road bike I have is quite fast. I can tell this because of my speed while coasting relative to the speed of others I'm riding with while they coast. I usually go faster than they do. That's the bike, not me.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Ok, Eric, keep relaxing your face while riding! I would like to see a sub 7 minute mile in the near future, if possible, or at least one "serious" mile time trial at 95% effort. If you are serious about some of these bike rides, you'll have more confidence going into them knowing you can crack 7 in the mile.