Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Getting My Running Legs Back

I ran two days in a row this week, Monday and Tuesday, 4 miles each run. Monday I averaged 8:17 per mile, but included about 3 fartleks or surges, probably at a 7-minute pace. I felt pretty good the whole way. Then I ran Tuesday, with the intention of running easy.....so I did. I averaged about 8:38 per mile, with no fartleks. Today I took off, then tomorrow I'll be cross country skiing with a co-worker, then back to running Friday, and hopefully Saturday and Sunday. With warmer temps and rain in the forecast, I don't plan to ski over the weekend.

This may seem like a small step, but every workout brings me closer to a sub-5 mile........I think..........

2 comments:

Riley said...

Hey Mark,

I think you are getting there. I'm looking forward to that next step of running a couple of days in a row. I also like throwing in the surges, or Fartlek. I plan to do that this spring. Keep up the good fight. I have been making pretty steady progress -- actually dipping below 9 minutes a mile last week during a run. Slow and steady. Take care,

Steve Riley

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve! Good progress if you're getting below 9 on a training run. When are you going to step out on the track and do an informal mile time trial? Too soon?