Monday, June 28, 2010

Tennis Improving?

I don't know what's happening.....last year, I was about 0 and 8 for competitive tennis matches, primarily against 2 opponents (one who is a 4.0 player, the other guy probably about like me, 3.5 to 4). Friday night, I came up with another tight win against the "other" guy, 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (4), winning in 3 sets with a final tie-breaker in the 3rd set. This puts me at 2-1 for the season overall. I don't feel like I've improved, but I'll take it. In fact I was up 5-1 in the 3rd set, and he came all the way back to force a tie-breaker. Admittedly, I relaxed some after being up 5-1, and starting playing around with my kick serve (which doesn't kick), and incurred a few double faults, before I realized how close the match was getting. Oh well, at my age, I shouldn't really be concerned about winning, right? Anyway, 2 hours of competitive singles tennis was certainly a good workout, and once again, it took me all day Saturday to recoop from the Friday night match.

On the running front, I ran 3 times last week, played tennis once (details above), and did yard work on Saturday (pretty tiring in the heat).

Yesterday I started the week with a 4.2 mile run, again under warm, humid conditions.

I'm leaving this coming Saturday for Key Largo, and don't expect to run much while I am there for a week. I think last year I may have run 3 times, about 3 to 3.5 miles each, which was about all I could take in the heat and humidity. However, I typically swim/snorkel every day, and even play some tennis at night, so i feel that I at least maintain my conditioning on these trips. I will target running at least twice, maybe 3 times if I can this year.

Mark

No comments: