Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Beach Running

I'm at the beach now and most of my running is likely to be on the sand. This stretch of beach is surprisingly good for running. It is quite firm, but not too abrasive. And there are a good six or seven miles of beach available. My workouts consist of both "distance" and quasi fartlek (in quasi fartlek there is walking between the runs, not jogging).

Yesterday in my first timed distance run I did two miles in 17:01. I thought that wasn't too bad when compared to how my running has been going on the track. In addition to the two miles of running I walked five miles.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

not bad!! This, in conjunction with your recent post about the accidental 7:15 mile, is FAR more encouraging than your post about "Nothing." That was downright depressing! This is more like it. 17 minutes for 2 miles on the beach is 8:30 per mile. That is really quite reasonable, as my 4 to 5 mile runs on pavement range anywhere from 8:00 per mile to 8:45 or even 8:50 on a slow day.

Keep it up!

P.S. We're not getting older, we're just getting slower and balder!

Mark