Saturday, March 28, 2009

First Mile of the Spring!

Finally, I stopped thinking about it and simply went to the track and conducted a mile time trial today. Actually, I put on my racing flats yesterday and jogged over to the track after work, but there was a full-fledged varsity lacrosse game underway, so I had to abort.

The good news is that I met my traditional goal of breaking 6 the first time out, although it was close. I ran 5:57 flat, with rather erratic splits of 88, 3:02, 4:33, and then an 84-second final lap. The 84-second lap was encouraging, likely indicating that I had some reserve, and could have managed a little bit faster time overall. However, I'm fairly satisfied with the result. The next goal, within 2 weeks or so, will be breaking 5:50, and as long as I'm that close to it, I might as well shoot for the Norton Barrier of 5:48 (search on the words "Norton Barrier" within this blog for detailed explanation of the Norton Barrier, and its significance).

Is sub-5 still in the plans? Well, after knocking myself out to run a 5:57, I thought about what it would take to peel off another 57 or 58 seconds, and it's not a pleasant thought. However, I have not started any serious running or speed workouts yet this spring, my longest run of the year has only been 5 miles, and it's not even April, so I guess I'll hang onto the dream for a while longer..............

Mark

No comments: