Sunday, April 5, 2009

Goofy Garmin

My Garmin Forerunner 205 was acting goofy (again).  It was shutting itself off during workouts.  I've just updated the firmware on the unit itself and also updated the firmware in the GPS chip.  The later was an option offered by the Forerunner firmware update program after it finished updating the Forerunner firmware.
 
Some Google searches reveal that lots of people have a variety of problems with these devices.  The firmware revision history lists many, many bug fixes, quite a few related to the unit turning itself off.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

My similar problems seemed to be worked out by "rebooting" the Garmin. If I have further problems, I'll look into the firmware issues.

However, the newer models are much smaller and lighter now!! Maybe we should trade in these old clunkers! I don't think I would wear one in a race, (unless I didn't care too much about time), due to the weight on the my wrist.