Sunday, November 25, 2007

Season Finale Approaching

I had planned on running the 8K Buffalo Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day (possibly the oldest continuously run road race in the country, starting in 1896 or so). This year it had about 8,000 runners. Actually, I did run, but I went with my daughter, and since she did not find her friends before the race, I offered to run with her instead of "racing." So, it was a nice enjoyable 8k at about an 8:29 pace. Kaila sprinted at the end and beat me.

So, now I have one race left this "season." My wife thinks it is a bit absurd that I even refer to a running "season" anymore at my age, but nonetheless, fall has always been cross country season for me, especially when the smell of leaves is in the air. I am planning on running a 5K road race this Saturday (the Reindeer Run) to cap of the "season." If all goes well, I would like to shoot for 19:20, or around a 6:13 per mile pace. This week I am "tapering," so I plan to run very lightly between now and then. I did a tempo run yesterday......a total of 5 miles, with the first mile very easy, then 2 miles at about a 6:30 pace, then 2 miles easy. Today was 3.3 miles on grass trails, easy pace.

I have toyed with the idea of running some indoor track meets with Bill McMullen, but my wife is already asking if the Reindeer Run will mark the end of my "running frenzy." I guess only runners will ever understand running.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Just and addendum to the season finale blog. Kaila (17-year-old daughter) may want to run one more 5K road race this winter on December 8. Thus, I may be extending my "season" by one week. This could work out well, because it would give me 2 weeks in a row of racing, and I remember from the old cross country days, that it sometimes took a while to acclimate to racing. Also, I'm hoping that i have trained to "peak" around now, and would like to cash in all my miles and training before starting back up again next year.