Monday, April 16, 2012

Training for the Mile Run (breaking 5 minutes)

One reason for the title is to get more blog hits.  When people are searching for tips on training, our titles are in the search, but if they are too general, such as "training update," then a search will be unlikely to bring them to our useful blog.

Moving along, I hope to make a stab at  sub-5 mile this year, although it is not at all easy.  I just ran 5:45 last Friday, and it hurt!  I keep thinking my main problem is low mileage.  I've been averaging about 25 to 27 per week for the last month now, but that is probably not enough, even when I start including serious speed workouts and intervals.  My long runs so far are about 7 to 7.2 miles.  I don't see much reason going higher than 8 miles to train for a mile, though.  Any thoughts?

Mark

3 comments:

Eric said...

I think the mileage is fine. I suggest more track work. If you are going to run 4 x 75 quarters w/o any rest in between you need to be able to run some quarters at around 70. When is the last time you've that kind of workout at that kind of pace?

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

No, I haven't, although last year I was working on 8 to 10 quarters, starting to get into the 80 second range. I think the convention is that when you can 10 quarters with about equal rest compared to the length of the quarter, then you can run a mile at that pace. So I need to be able to do about 10 75s with 75 seconds rest. For speed, though, I'm going to try a couple things. Downhill intervals, supplemented by 200s on the track.

Eric said...

Downhill intervals sound like fun. Is it real training if it's fun?