Friday, January 13, 2012

Mid-winter Update: Training Plans

Hello, everyone!  Although I have little to report on training, I will state that my recovery from surgery is progressing very well.  I am walking up to 2.3 miles now, with minimal effort, although even with over 9 hours sleep per night, I'm still fatigued by 9 or 9:30 at night.

We finally received some serious snow here in Buffalo, with about 5 to 6 inches today, blowing/drifting/cold.  I'm not recovered enough yet to cross country ski, unfortunately.  I need to take it easy until about January 24, when I see the doctor.  If I receive clearance at that time, I will slowly start running/XC skiing again, leading into my spring buildup.  In some ways, maybe a 2-month break from running (last run was around December 20) will be good for my body.  I ran quite hard last year, with moderate success:  two 2nd place overall finishes in trail races, one 6th place overall 5K road race (out of 175), one 15th place overall 5K race out of 745 (18:28), and a couple other decent results. 

This year, as stated in a previous post, I have some loftier goals, but reaching those will be almost entirely dependent on the quantity and quality of training I am able to conduct.  I'm going to try to take a different approach this year, do some good cross training (possibly biking), more weights/strength, and as much trail running with hills as possible.

I believe that I can continue to improve my performance (including times) over the next couple of years, regardless of turning 54 this April!!  There are many 50+ year olds in the Rochester area who are well ahead of me, so I know it can be done, with the right type and amount of training.

Stay tuned!

Mark

No comments: