Monday, November 14, 2011

5K Time Trial Aborted!

I attempted a 5K time trial on the track yesterday, after months of trail running/training, and not stepping onto a track. In short, I aborted, after hitting the mile in 6:07, and decided to just do a 2-mile as a good speed workout. Finished in 12:12, rested a bit, then ran 2 quarters in 85 and 86, with 90 seconds rest.


Overall, I really feel like I’m in good shape. I ran 18:50 in a certified 5k road race (with a few small hills) last June, and I feel like I should now be able to go 18:20. Thus, I was trying for at least a 6 minute pace (18:36) yesterday. However, a couple problems: First: I ran 5.3 miles on trails with rolling hills on Saturday, because I didn’t want to give up a weekend training day. Should have rested!! Second, finishing up with a 2-week cold, still hacking just a bit, and still felt sluggish yesterday before running. Third, was watching my 4-year old grandson during the day yesterday before I ran, and had to run around the yard a lot chasing him, playing Ben Ten Ultimate Alien (unless you have youngster or grandchild, you may not know what this is).

Next up, an 8K cross country race next Sunday.  This one will be very competitive, the championship meet of a 5-meet series in upstate NY, with many good runners (unlike some of my races where I'm close to winning....where Eric aptly points out that I found a race with no competition).  If I do well, I could be in the 30 to 40 finishing range (place, not time) out of an expected 150 or men (all men, since there is a separate women's race on championship day).  It is a hilly course, and who knows about weather (we're getting snow later this week), so not sure what to expect regarding time.  Likely in the low to mid 32s.

Mark

No comments: