Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Training and Racing Update (not retired)

Training update:  last week, finished with 23.8 miles total, and two tough sessions of singles tennis.  I need to mention tennis, because I work really hard during these singles matches, which sometimes take a total elapsed time of up to 2 hours.  I suspect there is some cardio benefit, as after long rallies, I even feel the need to bend over, much as I would after a quarter-mile interval or race.  Also, I finished last week's training with a 6.8 mile hilly run in the woods of Houghton, NY, includig a run up the infamous "Devil's Back."

Training update:  ran an evening speed workout on the track Monday night to avoid the heat, but unfortunately, it was less than 2 hours after eating a full dinner.  I didn't feel sick, but times were slow.  I have been doing 8 quarters in about the 81 to 81.5 range.  My first quarter Monday night was 88.5!!!  The subsequent 7 quarters ranged from 83 to 85, with most of them in the 84 to 85 range.  I finished with 2 200s, in 36 and 37 respectively.

Training update:  tonight, I plan to drive to a park that has rolling hills, do some warmup running, then 8 repeat hills of about 250 meters each, jogging back down the hill for the rest interval, then a mile or so warmdown.  Tomorrow night I have tennis planned again (played last night also instead of runing), then maybe an easy 3 miles Friday to rest up for Saturday's race.

Racing:  8K hilly road race planned for Saturday morning.  I've done this race twice in the past, once in over 34 minutes, and then 2 years ago in 32:40.  The 32:40 was under perfect, cool conditions.  This year, it will likely be over 70 at race time (9 am), so we'll see.  I think I'm in decent shape, and I've been doing speed workouts on the track almost weekly.

As you can see, I took your comments under advisement and have not yet retired!

Mark

No comments: