Thursday, June 23, 2011

Training Update

It's been a mixture of tennis and running the last couple of weeks (about 4 runs each week, and 2 to 3 sessions of tennis).  Although I run slower the day after playing any tough tennis matches, I'm hoping the cross training is beneficial.  Last week I ran 22.5 miles in 4 runs, then played tennis the other 3 days.  This week I may end up with 5 or even 6 runs because of the rain (tennis courts closed), and one day of tennis.  As of Wednesday (yesterday), I had 14.5 miles running in 3 sessions, and one session of tennis.  Sunday's run was the mile time trial, and yesterday I did a tempo run on the roads (2 miles at 8:30/mile pace, 1.5 miles at 6:38 pace, and the last 1.5 miles at 8:18 pace.  I'm traveling to Houghton later today to visit one of the other famous Dr. K Strider members (Michael Raybuck), and hope to run in the hills of Houghton tomorrow.

July 4th weekend I would like to either do another mile time trial or a 5 or 10K road race.  For a mile time trial, I really need to invite someone to run with me.  These solo runs are getting very difficult mentally.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I doubt that there are many, if any, true cross-training benefits when a runner plays tennis. When a tennis player runs, then yes--improved conditioning.

But tennis is fun and at our age since the running is difficult and often discouraging it is important to have fun.