Thursday, December 23, 2010

Running Challenge

This challenge is issued to all the blog members, but for Eric, it is mandatory. Although I understand the difficulties of running and training while doing worldwide travel, I don't think his lack of running is simply due to that. He himself admitted that it just wasn't "fun." Since when does running have to be "fun"? Is this a new, softer, gentler approach to running than when we were younger?

My challenge is for the blog members (and especially Eric) to establish a training program, pick an actual race (preferably a 5K) to enter, train for that race, enter it, run in it, and report the results with a good blog article and if possible, photos.

Charlottesville certainly must have some good 5k races in the Spring, so that might be a good time to shoot for.

Mark

2 comments:

Eric said...

I don't accept the challenge.

When it comes to running, my focus, though focus is probably too strong of a description, is on running an acceptable mile.

If I have to choose between biking and running, I would choose biking (for now). I believe that I can do both and since lots of people can do biking, running, and swimming, I should be able to handle biking and running.

My travel schedule is no longer an issue--I don't travel much anymore. The issue is mostly one of desire and a secondary issue is health related. Assuming I don't fall of the bike too often, long-distance riding is a better sport for me than long-distance running. Training for a mile will satisfy my running needs.

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I will accept a mile time trial in lieu of a formal road race. However, I would like to have a date or at least a month set for the trial, so that you don't get lax about training and planning. And biking should be good training. I remember a few years ago when I was running for Bill McMullen's masters (over 40) cross country team, and I was 4th or 5th man on the team (felt like a freshman again), that there was a guy who ONLY biked. He biked a lot, though, and showed up for once cross country race at the end of the season and beat me.