Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Biking Heart Rate Question???

Chris will probably have to answer this one, although Eric bikes also and may be able to chime in. With the onset of winter, I have started doing some workouts on a fairly cheap exercise bike in my basement. It has 8 magnetic resistance settings, although 7 is a bit too easy and 8 is too hard. Anyway, the question is how do I get my heart rate up comparable to running? My heart rate seems to hover around 98 to 100 beats per minute, when I think it is usually well over 130 even on easy runs. Last night, I pedaled really fast for the last minute in a 30-minute workout, and that got it up to 120, but I don't think I could sustain that pedaling rate. Is this just a question of building up my biking muscles until I can pedal faster for a longer period, or until I can stand to use the highest resistance setting?

Mark

No comments: