Sunday, April 13, 2008

Garmin 205 Calibration Run

Well, since I was at the track for my first run after taking a few days off with an injured back, I decided to "calibrate" the Garmin. At exactly 2 miles, it showed 1.99 miles, and I ran another 12 meters or so before it turned to 2.00. Not too bad, but you can see (I think) from the image, that although in reality, I ran on the inside lane the entire way, the Garmin shows me all over the track and even cutting corners across the infield.

However, I think this exercise shows that it is accurate to about 30 to 50 feet, which is not bad when you're out running on the roads. Note that off to the right, you can track my run home. I was running on the left side of the road (heading south), and the Garmin was nearly dead on. From my observations, it seems to do better when you are going in a relatively straight line, but loses some accuracy around tight turns. I may try the mode where it tracks your position every second to see if that makes any difference in accuracy. But so far, I really like using this, at it makes runs interesting when you have to train alone.


Here's another one of my neighborhood runs, just to give you an idea of my typical 4-mile run. It tracks me on the correct street, and correct side of the street, but sometimes is a bit off, especially around turns. I may try the track every second mode to see if that helps.





Mark

No comments: