Sunday, December 30, 2007

Two More Boys From Houghton Expected To Become Authors!

Invitations have just been sent.

*****

Eric:

Can you invite my brother Michael, and a long-time friend of ours from
Houghton, Andy Norton, to be authors in the blog? Michael of course
actually ran for Binghamton a couple times, and ran the Maryland
Marathon once with us. He attended an indoor track meet once while in
high school, and met Basil and Oliver, who referred to him as
"Mock-brother" (I guess Mark's brother in their lingo). He would be
suitable as a blog author.

Andy Norton, although technically not a runner, grew up with Michael and
me in Houghton, and was really more of a basketball player at 6'3".
However, he ran track as a freshman in high school with us (2 mile relay
and pole vault), then often went on 9 or 10 mile runs with us in the
summers as we got in shape for Bruce Truce cross country season. He
still runs, and tries to get close to a 6 minute mile each season. He
would also be a suitable author. In fact, Andy ran the Gary Truce 5K
with Michael, Kaila, and I a few years ago, so he has actually met Gary.
I think we introduced him to Gary as "the basketball guy." Andy also
ran a few cross country races with me a few years ago. Finally, he was
there with Michael and me in the infant stages of our glorious running
careers. We started out when I was in junior high, early high school,
running and racing a 2-mile loop around Houghton, then later extending
it to the Houghton College 4-mile cross country course. Typically, it
was me, Michael, Andy's older brother Ken, Andy, and another guy named
Dave Samuels (the suspicious 5:50 miler I referenced a few months ago).
We would literally race the very hilly Houghton 4 mile cross country
course for "fun" after dinner a couple times per week in the summer. I
set it up with calculated handicaps to make it as even as possible, but
leaving me a margin to win.

I've copied both of them on this email, so you will have their
addresses.

Mark

2 comments:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Eric:

The boys from Houghton "accepted", not "excepted." We need to maintain a high grammatical standard on this Bozo Bucket Blog Site.

Mark

Eric said...

Actually, it was a typing error and not a grammatical error. I've fixed the title of the post.