Friday, November 22, 2013

Neenan still keeps Kenyans in sight late into the race...

Former Colonials:

I hope that you are all doing well.

Until last Sunday, the last time that I ran a race was in the mid-1990's while I was living in D.C., and much younger.  However, I got the wild idea to run the Big Sur/Monterey Bay Half Marathon last weekend.  It's a spectacular course the goes along the Pacific Ocean and the field is very competitive.  Over 9,000 people started the race, and the organizers brought in a group of world class Kenyans to provide more competition for a good group of American runners.   It's an out-and-back course so I saw the Kenyans cruising along at 4:46 per mile.   I ran a 1:39:10, which is about a 7:34/mile pace.  I was under 7:30/mile for the first 11 miles and then faded the last 2.1 miles.  I finished 9th in my age category (55-59) and 270th overall in the men's competition.  So, not very impressive but I don't care.  I can't decide whether to do the smart thing and re-retire from racing or try again next year.  The enclosed photo shows how tired I was at the finish line, and I was sore for the next two days.  Getting old sucks.

I don't have Mark Raybuck's e-mail address to post this on his blog.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Rob

2 comments:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

Great job, Rob! Actually, 7:30 pace for a half marathon is not bad at all! And, I suspect it wasn't a bone flat course.

Regarding retirement, don't be foolish and retire at the start of a 5-year age group. We are both now at the fresh beginning, the youngest in our 55 to 59 age group. Wait until you are approaching 60 to think about it, then you might say "well, one more year and I'm in a new age group!"

Mark

Speedo said...

I posted what Rob e-mailed me in a bit of a hurry. I didn't read it very carefully or notice that there was a picture attached. I've added that now.

I agree with Sub 5 at 50. This talk of retirement is nonsense! 9th in his age group, 270 out of 9000 starters!! Keep it going Rob!