Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Winter Running Strategy Change!

Now normally, this time of year, I take 2 to 3 weeks off from running, and try to recover, then run much less during the winter, until mid to late March, at which point I start a slow build-up.

However, someone from work decided to get a team together from our office to run the Shamrock Run 8k on March 2.  This is the 2nd largest road race in Buffalo, usually with about 3 to 4,000 people!  I agreed to run it, so now I will feel obligated to be in reasonable condition on March 2.  I simply don't like running a race unless i'm in at least fair to good condition.

So, here's my new plan.  I still need a bit of time off to recoop from several months of hard training, so I won't really start running much until about January 21.  In the interim, though, I'm starting to do indoor biking, probably 3 times per week, weights, ab workouts, and then cross country skiing on the weekends, if there is enough snow.  If there is not enough snow, I will probably do some short runs.

After January 21, I think I'll start out with about 20 to 22 miles the first week, then ramp it up to about 30 miles per week over a couple weeks.  I'll include some longer runs (about 7 miles), and probably even a couple good, solid tempo runs.

I'm hoping that this program, along with the hard work I've done the past 6 to 8 months, will at least allow a decent performance on March 2.  After March 2, I may do 2 or 3 more easy weeks again, before starting Spring training, and thinking once again about the ever elusive sub-5 mile!

Mark

No comments: