Saturday, December 8, 2012

Indoor Track Season Begins!

After running a 5K road race last weekend (more to come on that in a later blog), indoor track season is now underway.  My indoor season will be comprised of a single race, a Masters only mile run at RIT on December 29, an official USATF meet.  Today, in preparation, I did my second track workout of the season, consisting of 8 quarters (not 400s), and 3 220s (not 200s).  Quarters were slower than hoped, as my last workout I averaged around 82ish. This time, it was raining, which might have slowed times slightly, and I only averaged around 83 or 83.5, although I really felt like I was working it.  The 220s were better, in 36.8, 37.58, and 37.55.  I thought it was a good idea to throw in the 220s, so that I get some feeling in my legs of running faster than my target mile race pace.  I'm shooting for around 5:15, which would be 2 seconds faster than I ran in this meet 2 years ago.  That may be ambitious, but we'll see.  I'm trying two speed workouts per week now, with one being on the track and the second something like a tempo run.  More to come!  I'm still behind on an October trail race post and last week's Reindeer Run 5k road race.  Both were exciting!

2 comments:

Eric said...

It doesn't seem that a 5:15 is possible with speed work that slow. But, Mark does have a history or competing better than he trains.

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

I failed to mention that I ran a 5:30 in practice about 3 weeks ago, so going from 5:30 to 5:15 in about 6 weeks, with some good speed workouts, may just do the trick. Plus, I plan to follow in Gary Truce's footsteps. When he ran his infamous 4:13 mile PR, he said he just jogged a a couple miles a day for the entire week before the race, then set a HUGE PR in the race.