Saturday, December 24, 2011

Special Holiday Edition: Focus On Health

Good news from Dave! He has no recent major issues and no surgery planned.

Mark just had surgery yesterday and should be home by now. He is expected to make a complete recovery over the next few weeks and should be running again before January is over.

I had a small funny looking growth on my leg called a seborrheic keratosis (which is doctor-talk for a small funny looking non-cancerous growth) removed on Monday. It is being biopsied and the expectation is that the biopsy will be negative (which is why the doctor called it what she did). While I was at the dermatologist I had some other stuff looked at that I didn't have any real concerns about and it turns out that I should have been concerned. I have growths called actinic keratoses on my head. These things could become cancerous so the treatment is to attempt to kill them now so they fall off before they have the chance to morph into cancer. The treatment is to put a 5% solution of fluorouracil (a chemotherapy drug) on my head for the next two to three weeks.

Its a good thing that, like Coach Truce, non of us are getting old.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

That's exactly right! We're not getting old! In fact, I just finished reading true story called Born to Run, by Christoper McDougal. Within the book they cited a study that distance runners gradually improve and reach a peak over the 7 or 8 years from Age 19 to 27 or so. But after that, your decline from peak is much slower than the climb, so that you don't decline back to your Age 19 ability/fitness until you are 64!! Now obviously this doesn't apply to shorter races, such as the mile or even the 5k and 10k. However, in terms of overall endurance running, we can take heart in the fact that at 64, we're like a teenager!